Your Customers are looking for Green Retailers
I have hesitated to use the trump card of economics in the Green movement, but I can’t ignore it and neither should you. Why should you be green? If for no other reason (and there are plenty of good ones) it is because consumers are making buying decisions based on how the businesses they patronize are doing with becoming green!
1. Learn from the grocery stores. These are highly profit-minded businesses which are rapidly going green and it is working for them in cash positive ways. In the Visual Merchandising and Store Design’s “Emerald Aisle”, the author explains how consumers are making their buying decisions based on the Green level of their stores. “They (consumers) want a store environment that reflects their growing environmental awareness.”
2. Create a consumer awareness of your Green initiatives. Don’t overdo it, but if you do not point out what you are doing your customer may not realize it. Bags that use recycled or sustainable materials such as the Green Way® products are branded, inexpensive and can help with your consumer awareness.
3. Buy products from local sources. That is one of the (many) success keys behind the trendy grocer Whole Foods Market. Also check out their consumer awareness program with packaging. Buying products made in the USA not only keeps our money at home, but reduces the carbon footprint in getting products into your store. You will continue to hear me say there are many implications to all walks of life. Stay alert and watch for many changes in our businesses. I think most are for the better.
The Nashville Wraps philosophy is that we help ourselves by helping each other.
Walk the Talk When it Comes to Being Green
When it comes to talking about recycling and being green we feel it is important to walk the talk, not just talk the walk. Here are a few things we do and what you can do as well.
How (And Why) We Went Green
1. Lighting: Our office lighting is high efficiency and consumes 60% less energy than standard fluorescent lights. We have about 300 of them. It is great light, instant on, and lasts a long time. Yes, we turn them off at night with only a few running 24 hours.
2. Recycling: We recycle everything; paper, plastics, aluminum and tons of used corrugated cartons weekly; a few years go we were paying to have them hauled off.
3. Supplies: We use recycled office paper but most of our reports are paperless. Laser and ink jet refills are all recycled/refilled. Cleaning chemicals are biodegradable and all toilets are 1.1 gallon flush models which saves about 1500 gallons of water daily.
4. Printing: Our catalog is being printed on 30% post consumer recycled paper and the remaining 70% is sourced with paper made from FSC certified forests. Additionally we offer up to 100% recycled paper and plastic packaging with our Green Way ® product line.
Going green is not hard to do and not expensive. In fact we find that it saves lots of expense and valuable resources, plus it promotes a team spirit. We do much more and I will share it with you in future articles.
Robby Meadows, Nashville Wraps