They say that in order to reach customers you have not reached, you have to do things you are not currently doing. The Trendy Trunk in Hendersonville, Tenn. features all things modern and chic, and that is true with their retail marketing as well.
With eight years of retail experience under her belt, owner Deanna Williams understands that you cannot be content in running a business the same way every year; you have to try new ideas and the latest technology to reach new customers. She opened The Trendy Trunk in 2007 because she had a passion for serving her community.
Unique Gifts for Every Occasion
Her shop has beautiful gifts for every occasion including holidays, baby, wedding and birthday. They have jewelry including the popular Pandora and Brighton lines, Christian-inspired home decor items, purses, stationery, candles and a large baby section and wedding gift registry. They personalize many gifts including ornaments, embroidered tea towels and shirts, and vinyl lettering on platters, cups and more.
Here are some great suggestions from The Trendy Trunk that made them one of the top gift shops in the Nashville market:
Successful Retail Marketing Tips
1. The Right Merchandising Mix for Your Market – The Trendy Trunk’s market is women looking for unique and personalized gifts. Deanna hand-picks every piece that is on display. Every January she attends Atlanta’s AmericasMart for her Christmas and spring merchandise. Then at the July show, she purchases her fall line of products.
2. Use a Calling Post Service – Deanna sends out a personal voice message to customers who have signed up for special offers. They love hearing her voice on their phone/voice mail announcing great deals and promotions. She only has to record it once for each sale, and the message goes out to all her customers. This service drives lots of business into her shop without a lot of work or expense.
3. Texting for the Next Generation – Because the younger generation prefers texting to email, businesses have begun to take note and use texting as well. The Trendy Trunk uses a Nashville-based service called textLiving. Customers enter their mobile phone number and first name at an iPad kiosk and instantly get 10% off their first order. Through their loyalty rewards program, The Trendy Trunk offers customers a free 10 oz. Tyler candle with every fourth purchase. They use texting for promotions and attrition efforts to let customers know they are missed by sending out a $5 coupon.
4. Pictures Sell Product – Emmie Harris with The Trendy Trunk says that every day customers come in and say they saw an image of something they wanted on social media. Others will call after seeing a post on Facebook or Instagram asking to have an item held for them. We are visual people, and great images sell!
5. Meet Customers Inside Your Store and Out – Last week The Trendy Trunk had a very successful Holiday Open House that brought lots of regular customers inside their shop. See more open house tips here. Deanna also goes outside the store to meet prospective new customers by exhibiting at Nashville’s Christmas Village at the Tennessee State Fairgrounds (this weekend). Over 260 merchants attend this annual show, along with 25,000 shoppers from all over the U.S. Watch the video.
6. Presentation is Everything – From the burning candles and gorgeous displays inside the shop, to the snappy gift wrapping offered for every gift, The Trendy Trunk is a feast for the eyes and senses. Their customers love having their purchases already wrapped and ready to give in Nashville Wraps packaging. It’s the kind of personalized service that only comes from small, independent retail shops like yours.
We hope you are inspired by this story and continue to grow your business with the latest technology, with lots of hospitality and over-the-top service thrown in. Shop small and local this holiday season!
Leave a Reply